Mass Communication Internships
All mass communication majors are strongly encouraged to complete at least one supervised internship for credit. Students must seek their own internships after consulting with their academic advisers. Internships require approval by the student, on-site supervisor, faculty adviser, department chair, and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences followed by registration in the course and fee payment for the credit. Deadlines for internship applications are May 1 for Fall Semester, November 1 for Spring Semester, and April 1 for Summer session.
Because internships are expected to provide meaningful professional experience related to one’s major, not all proposed internships will be approved. In addition to gaining approval for internship sites, students must meet the following academic requirements: C- or better in MCOM 241 and 12 additional hours numbered above 299; 2.00 GPA; MCOM or IMCO major. Application to the department and approval by the chair and Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences are required before registering for the course. Individually arranged.
Practicums, providing practical professional experience, are required for those who do not attain an internship. The one-hour Mass Communication Practicum (MCOM 464) is professional practice in a designated setting supervised by a department faculty member. Prerequisites: Junior standing, C- or better in MCOM 226 and 241, and MCOM or IMCO major.
- WSPA-TV Spartanburg, SC
- WIS-TV Columbia, SC
- WCBD-TV Charleston, SC
- WPDE-TV Florence, SC
- WSOC-TV Charlotte, NC
- WNSC-TV Rock Hill, SC
- WSOC-FM Charlotte, NC
- WBTV Charlotte, NC
- WCNC-TV Charlotte, NC
- WBT Radio Charlotte, NC
- Sunny 103.5 Charlotte, NC.
- WNKS 95.1 Charlotte, NC
- WTVI Charlotte, NC
- WBTW Florence, SC
- WYFF-TV Greenville, SC
- FOX Charlotte, NC
- Cable News 2, Rock Hill, SC
- WRHI Rock Hill, SC.
- WTSP-TV St. Petersburg, FL.
- WPCH-FM Atlanta, GA
- ESPN, Bristol, CT
- WHTK Hilton Head Island, SC.
- NBC News Channel, Charlotte, NC
- The Discovery Channel, Bethesda, MD
- The Link 107.9, Charlotte, NC
- ESPNU, Charlotte, NC
- Paradox Films, Charlotte, NC
- The Business Journal, Charlotte, NC
- The Herald, Rock Hill, SC
- The Charlotte Observer, Charlotte, NC
- Sumter Daily Item, Sumter, SC
- Sports Afield Magazine, New York City, NY
- The News & Reporter, Chester, SC
- U.S. News & World Report, Washington, DC
- Landmark Communications, Alpharetta, GA
- Community Relations, Museum of York County, Rock Hill, SC
- Media Relations, Charlotte Knights Baseball Team, Fort Mill, SC
- Public Information Office, City of Rock Hill, Rock Hill, SC
- The Post & Courier, Charleston, SC