Mass Communication Internships
All mass communication majors must complete at least one supervised internship or practicum for credit. Students must seek their own internships and practicums after consulting with their academic advisers. Internships require approval by the on-site supervisor, faculty adviser, and department chair followed by registration in the course and fee payment for the credit. Deadlines for internship applications are May 1 for Fall Semester, November 1 for Spring Semester, and April 1 for Summer session.
Because internships are expected to provide meaningful professional experience related to one’s major, not all proposed internships will be approved. In addition to gaining approval for internship sites, students must meet the following academic requirements: C- or better in MCOM 205, MCOM 226 and MCOM 241 and 9 additional hours numbered above 299; 2.00 GPA; MCOM or IMCO major. Application must be turned in and approved by the department. The internship agreement must be approved by the on-site supervisor, faculty adviser and department chair.
Practicums, providing practical professional experience, are required for those who do not attain an internship. The one-hour Mass Communication Practicum (MCOM 464) is professional practice in a designated setting supervised by a department faculty member. Prerequisites: Junior standing, C- or better in MCOM 226 and 241, and MCOM or IMCO major.
- Carolina Panthers - Charlotte - NC
- WSPA-TV - Spartanburg, SC
- WIS-TV - Columbia, SC
- WCBD-TV - Charleston, SC
- WPDE-TV - Florence, SC
- WSOC-TV - Charlotte, NC
- WNSC-TV - Rock Hill, SC
- WSOC-FM - Charlotte, NC
- WBTV - Charlotte, NC
- WCNC-TV - Charlotte, NC
- WBT Radio - Charlotte, NC
- Sunny 103.5 - Charlotte, NC.
- WNKS 95.1 - Charlotte, NC
- WTVI - PBS - Charlotte, NC
- WBTW - Florence, SC
- WYFF-TV - Greenville, SC
- Cable News 2 - Rock Hill, SC
- WRHI - Rock Hill, SC.
- WTSP-TV - St. Petersburg, FL.
- WPCH-FM - Atlanta, GA
- ESPN, - Bristol, CT
- NBC News Channel - Charlotte, NC
- Time Warner Cable News - Charlotte, NC
- The Discovery Channel - Bethesda, MD
- The Link 107.9 - Charlotte, NC
- ESPNU - Charlotte, NC
- Paradox Films - Charlotte, NC
- The Business Journal - Charlotte, NC
- The Herald - Rock Hill, SC
- The Charlotte Observer - Charlotte, NC
- Sumter Daily Item - Sumter, SC
- Sports Afield Magazine - New York City, NY
- The News & Reporter - Chester, SC
- UPI - Washington DC
- U.S. News & World Report - Washington, DC
- Landmark Communications - Alpharetta, GA
- Community Relations, Museum of York County - Rock Hill, SC
- Media Relations, Charlotte Knights Baseball Team - Fort Mill, SC
- Public Information Office, City of Rock Hill - Rock Hill, SC
- Pride Magazine - Charlotte, NC
- The Moultrie News - Charleston, SC
- The Post & Courier - Charleston, SC