Annual Department Events
High School Media, Theatre & Dance Workshop - Faculty and field professionals offer this annual half-day workshop for high school students, teachers and advisers each September. This is an excellent volunteer opportunity for mass communication, theatre and dance majors and pre-majors. Contact your faculty adviser for more information.
Mass Communication Week – Media experts from across the nation speak to classes and student groups during Mass Communication Week. Students can meet and talk with these speakers one-on-one or in small groups. Guest speakers have included editors of magazines and newspapers, heads of public relations agencies, television producers and anchors, lawyers, and political press representatives. Students help publicize and plan this week-long series of events.
Mass Communication Recognition Dinner – This annual event in April honors the accomplishments and academic achievements of students in the department, in university student publications, and of our graduating seniors. Students in the Public Relations Principles class plan the event. The 24th Annual Mass Communication Recognition Dinner will be in April 2013. You won't want to miss this opportunity to network with important members of the community, support your classmates and enjoy great entertainment (and an even better meal). Dress is usually business casual. See you there!
- Outstanding Journalism Senior - Jonathan McFadden
- Outstanding Broadcast Senior- Amanda Taylor
- Outstanding Integrated Marketing Communication Senior - Sarah Chandler
- Outstanding Mass Communication Junior - Sigourney Woodfork
- Leadership Award- Carrie DuPre
- Kappa Tau Alpha Top Scholar- Jonathan McFadden
- Landmark/Timbs Diversity Scholarship- Shamira McCray
- Herald News Award-
- Herald Feature Award- David Thackham
- Herald Publication Design Award -