August 2015 Events for Post-Traditional, Veteran, and Transfer Students
Transition to Winthrop Workshops
Friday, August 21, 2015
Join us for a variety of workshops designed to introduce you to all the resources at Winthrop!
As a transfer and/or post-traditional student, many aspects of the college environment are already familiar to you. However, Winthrop University is a new institution with new expectations and procedures, new academic requirements, and exciting new challenges. Your attendance will be a valuable investment in your future college career!
These workshops are optional to attend, and we ask that you register in advance. Topics covered will include: Study Skills, Academic Support Resources, Using Technology, Student Involvement, Library Tour, Classroom Tours, and more!
Come for one session, stay for several or attend every single one! Pick the sessions that interest you the most!
Information on workshop times and locations
Welcome Week Events
Welcome Week runs from Friday, August 21 through Sunday, August 30, and provides new students with great opportunities to engage on Winthrop’s campus! As a new post-traditional and/or transfer student, you are encouraged to participate in all events. A full-listing of events can be found in your Welcome Week booklet, which you can pick up from our office or at our events, during the Transfer and Post-Traditional Student Meeting or when you check in at your residence hall (new transfer students may check in at their residence hall beginning at 7 a.m. on Friday, August 21). For more information visit the Welcome Week website.
While most events are optional, below are the required events for transfer and post-traditional students.
Monday, August 24, 2015
- 9 – 10:00 a.m.: Transfer and Post-Traditional Student Meeting - Tillman Auditorium
- 10:30 a.m. – Noon: Assemblies with Academic Colleges - Locations vary by Academic College. See Welcome Week Book for exact locations.
- 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.: Winthrop's History and Traditions - Tillman Auditorium - Arrive at 1:30 p.m. to receive your Blue Line shirt. Session will begin promptly at 1:45 p.m.
- 2:45 pm: Convocation - Byrnes Auditorium - Your Adult Student Mentors will walk you over following the Transfer and Post-Traditional Student Meeting. Be sure to wear your Blue Line shirt!
Welcome Week Fun with the Adult Student Mentors
Kick-off a great semester at Winthrop with your Adult Student Mentors by joining them for some of the many great events that make up Welcome Week. An Adult Student Mentor will be at the following events early in the week – so you’re guaranteed to have someone to sit with.
- Transfer Pool Party: Thursday, August 20 at 2 - 4 p.m. in the West Center Pool - Winthrop ID required for entry.
- Transfer Trivia: Friday, August 21 at 8 p.m. in The Edge in the DiGiorgio Campus Center
- Classroom Tours: Saturday, August 22 at 11 a.m. starting in the DiGiorgio Campus Center Lobby
Your Adult Student Mentors will also be at events throughout the remainder of the week! A full listing of those events will be distributed at the Transfer and Post-Traditional Student Meeting on Monday, August 24, 2015.