August 2016 Events for Military, Adult, and Transfer Students
"Escaping Transfer Shock" Workshops
Friday, August 19, 2016
Transfer shock\trans-fer shok\n 1: the academic and social disorientation experienced by students following a transfer from one institution to another 2: the tendency of students transferring from one institution of higher education to another to experience a temporary dip in grade point average during the first or second semester at the new institution
Escape "transfer shock" by joining us for a variety of workshops designed to introduce you to all the resources at Winthrop!
As a transfer and/or post-traditional student, many aspects of the college environment are already familiar to you. However, Winthrop University is a new institution with new expectations and procedures, new academic requirements, and exciting new challenges. Your attendance will be a valuable investment in your future college career!
These workshops are optional to attend. Topics covered will include: Study Skills, Academic Support Resources, Using Technology, Student Involvement, Library Tour, Classroom Tours, and more!
Come for one session, stay for several or attend every single one! Pick the sessions that interest you the most!
Information on workshop times and locations
Welcome Week Events
Welcome Week runs from Friday, August 19 through Sunday, August 28, and provides new students with great opportunities to engage on Winthrop’s campus! As a new military, adult and/or transfer student, you are encouraged to participate in all events. A full-listing of events can be found in your Welcome Week booklet, which you can pick up from our office or at our events, during the Transfer and Adult Student Meeting or when you check in at your residence hall (new transfer students may check in at their residence hall beginning at 7 a.m. on Friday, August 19). For more information visit the Welcome Week website.
While most events are optional, below are the required events for new transfer, military, and adult students.
Monday, August 22, 2016
- 9 – 10:00 a.m.: Transfer and Adult Student Meeting - Tillman Auditorium
- 10:30 a.m. – Noon: Assemblies with Academic Colleges - Locations vary by Academic College. See Welcome Week Book for exact locations.
- Noon - 1 p.m.: Lunch on your own - Bring your own lunch, or try out one of our great on-campus dining locations!
- 1 - 1:30 p.m.: Optional Campus Tour - Meet in DIGS Lobby.
- 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.: Winthrop's History and Traditions - Tillman Auditorium - Arrive at 1:30 p.m. to receive your Blue Line shirt. Session will begin promptly at 1:45 p.m.
- 2:45 pm: Convocation - Byrnes Auditorium - Your Adult Student Mentors will walk you over following the Winthrop's History & Traditions presentation. Be sure to wear your Blue Line shirt!
Classes begin at 5 p.m. on Monday, August 22, 2016.
Welcome Week Fun with the Adult Student Mentors
Kick-off a great semester at Winthrop with your Adult Student Mentors by joining them for some of the many great events that make up Welcome Week. An Adult Student Mentor will be at the following events early in the week – so you’re guaranteed to have someone to sit with.
- Pancake Breakfast & Classroom Tours: Thursday, August 18 at 10 a.m. in Dinkins Auditorium - Bring your class schedule and we'll help you find your classrooms.
- Board Game Night: Thursday, August 18 at 7 p.m - 9 p.m. in Richardson Hall Classroom
- Transfer Trivia: Friday, August 19 at 8 p.m. in The Edge in the DiGiorgio Campus Center
- Tacos with Transfers: Thursday, August 25 at 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. on Dinkins Lawn (Rain Location: Dinkins Auditorium)
Your Adult Student Mentors will also be at events throughout the remainder of the week! A full listing of those events will be available at the Transfer and Adult Student Meeting on Monday, August 22, 2016.
Download a copy of the Transfer & Adult Student Brochure! (pdf - 426 kb)