Once admitted to the university as a degree seeking, non-degree seeking, or audit student, the Resource Center for Adult Students will provide you with a packet of information to assist you in beginning your journey here at Winthrop. Please feel free to contact the Resource Center with questions you may have about campus life and services.
Students admitted to Winthrop under our senior citizen programs must adhere to all Winthrop University policies and procedures. A full listing of steps required for our Senior Citizen students can be found in the Senior Citizen's Guide to Taking Undergraduate Classes (pdf - 248 kb) or the Senior Citizen's Guide to Taking Graduate Classes (coming soon).
Once admitted, but prior to the start of classes, students must do the following:
Submit immunization forms to Health and Counseling Services. All individuals over the age of 60 must provide proof for:
- Tetanus – Booster within the past 10 years
- Tuberculosis – Must provide answers to a screening questionnaire and, if required, submit TB test results and/or chest X-ray.
Immunization also is recommended for Meningococcal Disease and Meningitis, but not required for students over 25 years of age.
Immunization is a “win-win” situation for all involved, as it provides a healthy learning environment for all Winthrop faculty, staff, and students.
Senior Citizens who need these immunizations administered may do so with their own medical care personnel or can have it taken care of by Health and Counseling Services in Crawford Building for a nominal fee.
Set up your e-mail account. Undergraduate students may begin this process at the New Student Checklist. Graduate students may begin this process at the New Graduate Student Checklist. If you have any difficulty, please contact the Help Desk in 15 Tillman.
If you are a degree seeking student, you must be advised by your official academic advisor prior to the start of the term. Undergraduate degree seeking students will be advised intially during an Orientation session, which you can sign up via accessing your New Student Checklist. Graduate degree seeking students will receive contact information for their advisor in their admissions letter.
On the business day before classes, students must accomplish the following:
- Register for courses with the Records and Registration staff in 126 Tillman Hall. You may only register on the business day prior to the first day of classes (for fall and spring semesters). For summer classes, you may register the week prior to the start of the summer session for which you are registering. A full listing of these dates can be found through the Academic Calendar.
- Audit students, after registering, must complete an Audit Form and submit it to Records and Registration in 126 Tillman by the add/drop deadline for the semester in which you are enrolled. Senior citizens do not need to obtain signatures from instructors or department chairs.
- Pay any lab fees associated with your course at the Cashier’s Office in 22 Tillman.
- All students regardless of classification must validate their schedules. You must have paid all lab fees and any other fees on your account to successfully validate your schedule. Failure to validate your schedule may result in your classes being dropped. Visit Student Financial Services in 21 Tillman with any questions.
- Register your car with Campus Police at the Good Building. There is no charge for a parking pass for senior citizens.
- Purchase books and supplies needed for courses. All books and supplies are the financial responsibility of the student and can be purchased at the Campus Bookstore in the DiGiorgio Campus Center or elsewhere.
Senior Citizens who wish to enroll in courses for an additional semester should contact the Resource Center for Adult Students. Our staff will review your information and let you know if we need any additional information. Degree seeking students will need to meet with their assigned advisor. All students should then follow the registration procedures outlined above. You will need a new parking permit and/or ID only if your old one has been misplaced or expired.