The successful candidate for regular freshman admission has a proven record of achievement in his/her high school courses, scores competitively on the SAT or ACT, and has completed all of the courses required for entrance to a South Carolina public, four-year institution. Not everyone who meets these basic criteria is admitted to Winthrop, and there are special circumstances which warrant the admission of a student who has not met all of the aforementioned criteria. Information on the average statistics for the most recent entering class is provided below.
ADMISSIONS INFORMATION - Freshman Applicants for Fall 2013
Average Statistics for Freshmen who Enrolled
High School GPA 3.81
SAT Total 1048 (excluding the results of the writing examination)
ACT Composite 23 (excluding the results of the writing examination)
Note that the information provided above represents the average statistics for freshmen who enrolled. Winthrop University admits all qualified applicants and offers equal educational opportunities regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion or disability. Applicants are admitted on the basis of the probability of their success in completing the requirements for graduation.
Freshman applicants are evaluated on an individual basis by the respective admissions counselor using the following criteria:
Primary criteria: (will always be considered)
- High school performance, including grades and level of course work
- Completion of high school course prerequisites as set by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
- Standardized test scores (SAT or ACT). (Note that the results of the writing tests are not utilized when rendering an admission decision.) If you take the SAT more than once, we will use the highest Critical Reading and highest Mathematics score from all administrations. If you take the ACT more than once, we will use the highest composite score.
Secondary criteria: (will be considered if submitted)
- Letters of recommendation
- Essay or personal statement explaining factors (extenuating circumstances) that have affected performance in classes
- Extracurricular activities, special talents, and/or community service
A completed freshman application will include the following items:
- Non-refundable application fee of $40. Online applicants pay upon submission of the application. Applicants who submit the paper application form should include a check or money order made payable to Winthrop University.
- SAT Reasoning or ACT test scores. Winthrop's SAT code is 5910 and the ACT code is 3884. Note: We recommend that students take the tests by December of their senior year.
- High School Transcript: An official copy of your transcript should be mailed or faxed directly from your high school. Winthrop's fax number is 803-323-4952.
Additionally, please note that the residency form is required for all applicants who claim entitlement to South Carolina in-state tuition rates. If you do not complete this form you will be classified as an out-of-state student. Students cannot be considered for state-awarded scholarships until their resident status is classified as resident.