Skip to Main Content
Search the site or search for people
Search the site or search for people
ADMISSIONS & AID
About Winthrop University
Growth in Rock Hill
A New Era
Change for the Future
Garnet & Gold Book (pdf)
Timeline Photo Gallery
Founded in 1886
Superintendent of Columbia, S.C., schools David Bancroft Johnson received a $1,500 appropriation from the Peabody Education Board headed by Robert Charles Winthrop to open a school to train young women to teach in the public schools. Classes were first offered at Winthrop Training School in Columbia. Twenty-one students met for classes in the one-room Little Chapel, a carriage house built by Robert Mills, South Carolina architect and designer of the Washington Monument.
Founded in 1886<br />Superintendent of Columbia, S.C., schools David Bancroft Johnson received a $1,500 appropriation from the Peabody Education Board headed by Robert Charles Winthrop to open a school to train young women to teach in the public schools. Classes were first offered at Winthrop Training School in Columbia. Twenty-one students met for classes in the one-room Little Chapel, a carriage house built by Robert Mills, South Carolina architect and designer of the Washington Monument.
<strong>1886: </strong>Winthrop grew out of the vision of its founder, David Bancroft Johnson. As superintendent of schools in Columbia, S.C., Johnson was keenly aware of the lack of professionally trained school teachers in the state and felt strongly that a teacher training school was the answer. Johnson served the institution until he died in 1928. His tenure was the longest of any Winthrop president.
<strong>1887:</strong> Fourteen students graduated at Winthrop’s first commencement at the Columbia City Opera House. South Carolina granted Winthrop a charter and provided $150 per month scholarship to one student from each county in the state; Winthrop relocated to a house on Marion Street where it remained until its move to Rock Hill in 1895.
<strong>1889:</strong> The <a title="Winthrop Alumni Association " href="http://www.winthropalumni.com/" target="_blank">Winthrop Alumni Association </a>was established.
<strong>1891:</strong> The S.C. General Assembly established the South Carolina Industrial and Winthrop Normal College and considered offers from towns competing to be the college’s permanent site. Winthrop started a two-year curriculum.
<strong>1893</strong>: The institution's name was changed to the Winthrop Normal and Industrial College of South Carolina.
<strong>1895: </strong>Winthrop began classes in Rock Hill, S.C. A uniform dress code went into effect. A four-year curriculum was instituted. The Blue Line tradition began.
<strong>1898: </strong>Tillman / Main Building
<strong>1900:</strong> Enrollment topped 500, and Winthrop Kindergarten (now <a title="Macfeat Early Childhood Laboratory School" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/macfeat/default.aspx">Macfeat Early Childhood Laboratory School</a>) opened.
<strong>1912:</strong> The first B.S. and M.A. degrees were conferred, and the Winthrop Training School building (now <a title="Withers/W.T.S. Building" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/buildingtour.aspx?id=3167">Withers/W.T.S. Building</a>) was constructed.
<strong>1920: </strong>The institution became Winthrop College, the South Carolina College for Women.
<strong>1925:</strong> Winthrop became the second largest women's college in the United States.
<strong>1928:</strong> David Bancroft Johnson died after 42 years of leadership to Winthrop.
<strong>1929:</strong> James P. Kinard was named second president. He later guided Winthrop through the Depression, and despite the economic crisis, saw to the expansion of Carnegie Library (now <a title="Rutledge Building" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/buildingtour.aspx?id=3157">Rutledge Building</a>), planning for the amphitheater, and completion of <a title="Kinard Building" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/buildingtour.aspx?id=3144">Kinard Building</a>, the main academic facility on campus.
<strong>1934: </strong>Shelton Phelps was named third president. He worked to strengthen Winthrop's curriculum and faculty, as well as take advantage of Works Project Administration funds.
<strong>1936:</strong> The Little Chapel was moved from Columbia to Rock Hill and reconstructed at its present site.
<strong>1940:</strong> The School of Music’s accreditation was Winthrop’s first professional accreditation.
<strong>1944:</strong> Henry R. Sims was named fourth president.The noted South Carolina legislator later garnered a near 10-fold increase in the school’s financial base.
<strong>1953:</strong> Enrollment topped 2,000.
<strong>1954:</strong> Winthrop trustees went on record favoring coeducation.
<strong>1955: </strong>Uniforms were discontinued. D. B. Johnson Memorial Organ was dedicated in <a title="Byrnes Auditorium" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/buildingtour.aspx?id=3134">Byrnes Auditorium</a>.
<strong>1959:</strong> Charles S. Davis was named fifth president. He later oversaw the gradual closing of Winthrop Training School and made strides in paving the way for integration and coeducation.
<strong>1964: </strong>Cynthia Plair Roddey, Winthrop's first African-American student, enrolled as a graduate student, and the first Master of Science degree was conferred.
<strong>1965:</strong> Enrollment topped 3,000.
<strong>1969:</strong> Graduate student Walter Schrader became the first male to receive a Winthrop degree.
<strong>1970:</strong> Enrollment topped 4,000.
<strong>1972: </strong>The S.C. General Assembly passed limited admission of males.
<strong>1973:</strong> Charles B. Vail was named sixth president, coeducation was soon to be fully realized, and the Winthrop Foundation was established.
<strong>1974: </strong>Winthrop became fully coeducational.
<strong>1983:</strong> Phillip Lader was named seventh president. The Blue Line tradition and Convocation were reinstituted. Cultural events were reinstated as a requirement to graduate.
<strong>1984:</strong> Enrollment topped 5,000. Winthrop was admitted to the NCAA. Roger Baumgarte received the first James P. Kinard Award for Excellence in Teaching.
<strong>1986:</strong> Martha Kime Piper became Winthrop’s eighth president. Winthrop celebrated its centennial.
<strong>1989: </strong>Anthony DiGiorgio became Winthrop’s ninth president, establishing core institutional values of service, excellence, diversity, community, and leadership. Hurricane Hugo hit the campus.
<strong>1990:</strong> The <a title="Vision of Distinction " href="http://www.winthrop.edu/president/default.aspx?id=1366">Vision of Distinction </a>was adopted by the <a title="Board of Trustees " href="http://www.winthrop.edu/trustees/">Board of Trustees </a>as the planning document to shape Winthrop’s future aspirations. History professor Jason Silverman was named the S.C. Governor’s Professor of the Year, a first for a Winthrop faculty member.
<strong>1991:</strong> <a title="U.S.News &amp; World Report " href="http://www.usnews.com/education" target="_blank">U.S.News & World Report </a>magazine ranked Winthrop among the South’s top universities in its 1992 America’s Best Colleges edition, beginning a tradition of recognition by the magazine that continues today.
<strong>1992:</strong> Winthrop attained university status.
<strong>1999:</strong> The <a title="Winthrop Eagles " href="http://www.winthropeagles.com/" target="_blank">Winthrop Eagles </a>made the NCAA Division I basketball tournament for the first time in the program's history. <br />The Life Sciences Building (now <a title="Dalton Hall" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/buildingtour.aspx?id=3146">Dalton Hall</a>) was completed, the first new academic building in more than 30 years.
<strong>2000:</strong> Enrollment topped 6,000. The <a title="College of Education " href="http://www.winthrop.edu/coe/">College of Education </a>was renamed the Richard W. Riley College of Education for the former Secretary of Education under President Bill Clinton.
<strong>2003: </strong>Winthrop's first capital campaign, "A Lasting Achievement: The Campaign for Winthrop," came to a close with more than $31 million raised. <a title="University College" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/uc/">University College</a> was established, joining the colleges of arts and sciences, business administration, education, and visual and performing arts.
<strong>2005: </strong>Winthrop garnered a $3.8 million grant from the IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence program to pursue molecular biomedical research. An anonymous $1.5 million gift was donated to enhance the <a title="Winthrop Ballpark" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/farmtour.aspx?id=5153">Winthrop Ballpark</a>.
<strong>2007: </strong>Construction was completed on Winthrop’s first certified “green” building, the <a title="Lois Rhame West Health, Physical Education and Wellness Center" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/buildingtour.aspx?id=3148">Lois Rhame West Health, Physical Education and Wellness Center</a>, as well as on the <a title="Glenda Pittman and Charles Jerry Owens Hall" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/buildingtour.aspx?id=3152">Glenda Pittman and Charles Jerry Owens Hall</a>.
<strong>2009: </strong>Millions of dollars in federal funds were awarded to Winthrop for such projects as the Richard W. Riley College of Education’s <a title="NetSCOPE " href="http://www2.winthrop.edu/netscope/" target="_blank">NetSCOPE </a>initiative (the largest federal grant in the institution’s history), the <a title="McNair Scholars program" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/mcnair/">McNair Scholars program</a>, and even a steam line for the campus. <a title="Carroll Hall " href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/buildingtour.aspx?id=8131">Carroll Hall </a>opened with the state-of-the-art Carroll Capital Markets Training and Trading Center as the building’s centerpiece. <a title="Homecoming " href="http://www.winthrop.edu/homecoming/">Homecoming </a>moved to the fall.
<p><strong>2010:</strong> The university embarked on its 125th academic year. Tom Slaughter’s gifts and estate plans made him the most generous donor in Winthrop’s history. The <a title="DiGiorgio Campus Center " href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/buildingtour.aspx?id=12844">DiGiorgio Campus Center </a>was completed in the heart of campus along Scholars Walk. Fire destroyed <a title="Owens Hall" href="http://www.winthrop.edu/virtualtour/buildingtour.aspx?id=3152">Owens Hall</a>. </p>
<strong>2011: </strong>The university launched the public phase of its second capital campaign, “Distinction: The Campaign for Winthrop.” The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) reaffirmed full accreditation for Winthrop. Hardin Family Garden opened at the south end of Scholars Walk.
A-Z Site Map
© Winthrop University
701 Oakland Avenue Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA